Top 5 festive getaways
Christmas is coming, and what sounds better than a Christmas holiday abroad over the festive season. The question is, where to go on your Christmas holidays? Maybe you want some sun to forget about the gloomy cold weather back home, or perhaps you love that chilly feeling that comes with December. It’s time to grab a glass of mulled wine and figure out where to go for a Christmas getaway. Here are our top 5 favourite Christmas destinations; it’s time to start booking those flights…
If you’re looking for a city break with yuletide cheer, look no further than London. The Brits know how to do Christmas well.
- Check out the famous Winter Wonderland that appears every year in Hyde Park. Here you’ll find ice skating, rollercoasters, bars, and circuses. No grinches to be found here, way too much Christmas cheer
- If you’ve been itching all year to belt out “Ding Dong Merrily on High”, the wait is over. In London you can find carol concerts across the city every single day! Head to the Royal Albert Hall or St Paul’s Cathedral to enjoy the Christmas cheer in some of the most beautiful buildings the city has to offer
- We said the Brits know how to do Christmas, and you’ll see that they go all out with their festive light displays. See the classic Oxford Street lights as you mix in a bit of Christmas shopping. If you’re looking for a more alternative display, wander off the beaten track to Carnaby Street, this year the lights’ theme is ‘Records and Rebels’
The City That Never Sleeps will fill you with festive feels, let us point you in the right direction…
- The Rockefeller Christmas Tree is a globally recognised symbol of the holiday season. Thousands of locals and tourists flock here every year to gaze up at the 78 foot tall tree. As well as the tree, you can show off your ice skating skills (or lack of them) at the nearby rink. One for the Instagram feed for sure
- The New York Christmas markets are a must, head to Union Square, Chelsea Market or Bryant Park, here you’ll find international food, handmade jewellery, artwork and artisan products, basically a little bit of everything wrapped up in Christmas joy
- Our new #EBSNewYork school is a must-see. Treat yourself to an early Christmas present and do our 2-Day Mixology course here. All of your Christmas guests will be blown away by your bespoke cocktails
If you’ve been huddled up in blankets since September and you are in deep need of some rays, Australia is the perfect destination for you.
- Santa makes his appearances Down Under in a different way to the Northern Hemisphere. Visit him in the sky and look down on the city below at the Sydney Tower Eye and prove that you’ve been nice all year
- On Christmas Day, head down to Bondi Beach as the locals do, put your Santa hat on and fire up the barbie. Temperatures average around 26 degrees at this time of year, so lose the Christmas jumper and pop the suncream in your bag instead!
- For the big kids out there, you’ll be delighted at the unique Christmas tree that they have in the Pitt Street Mall, made entirely from Lego! This is the largest Lego tree in the Southern Hemisphere which will entice you with its light show. To top it all off, every Thursday you can enjoy carols in the mall and relive your childhood!
You love Christmas, you can’t wait for the markets, and you have been dreaming of getting cosy in scarves and hats all year. Does this sound like you? Oslo is waiting for you!
- It’s not just London that has great Christmas markets, Oslo have their own Scandi spin on Winter Wonderland. Wander the stalls and try some traditional snacks. Pepperkaker is one of our favourites, a type of Norwegian gingerbread. If you’re feeling brave, have a bite of some lutefisk, a dried fish with a jellied consistency- when in Norway!
- Go and see a Christmas concert in the city centre. Whether you’re into classical performances, jazz, or traditional choral evenings, there’s something for everyone. Every night there is something different to see that will keep you warm from the wintery weather
- If you’re looking to combine a festive getaway with a skiing session, Oslo has it all. Hop on a train and in under an hour you’ll be in Tryvann where you can hit the slopes and enjoy some gløgg (mulled wine) to warm you up after, skål to that!
Are you a snow bunny who has been daydreaming about the slopes? A trip to Bad Gastein will sort you out!
- Watch out for the Krampus in the Austrian Alps if you’ve been naughty this year. You’ll see him creeping around Bad Gastein over winter, chasing away the bad guys (and anyone who makes a mojito with lemons). But we’re sure you’ve all been nice and have nothing to worry about…
- Put your skis on and chase down some thrills on the slopes in the day, then enjoy the Après-ski by night
- “It’s lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you”. Jingle through the slopes with your loved ones and live like Santa for the day as you weave through the valleys of Bad Gastein
Have we helped you make up your mind on where to go for the perfect Christmas holiday abroad? Maybe you need some more inspiration? We have 26 destinations for you to pick from, where will you visit this December?